Paul specialises in employment and discrimination law. He is recommended in Legal 500, the international directory for leading lawyers and advises organisations and senior executives on a wide range of legal issues including the formation and termination of the employment relationship, litigation, large-scale restructuring, TUPE, share options, and bonus disputes.
His clients include technology and media organisations, financial institutions, national charities, and professional firms (including other law firms and barristers chambers).
Paul is an experienced advocate. His litigation experience includes pursuing and defending cases in the Employment Tribunals, the Employment Appeal Tribunal, the High Court, and the Court of Appeal.
Examples of recent work
- Successfully acting as the advocate at appellate level in the case of Charm Offensive Productions v Lazarov and ors (a landmark case concerning the employment rights of actors, reported by the BBC, the Independent and the Stage)
- Successfully pursuing a £10 million class action case against an international technology business reported in the Financial Times, The Guardian and Music Week
- Advising a UK sporting body on high profile allegations of discrimination concerning selection for the Rio Olympics
- Advising a leading hedge fund on restrictive covenants and injunctive relief
- Advising an organisation in respect of contractual changes, achieving savings in excess of £5 million
- Representing a senior executive whistleblower who uncovered large-scale corporate fraud within a multi-national, publicly listed company.
- Successfully defending a household name business facing class action litigation worth in excess of £1.5 million
- Advising the CEO of a global technology business on contractual terms, bonus provisions and share options
- Representing a team of cleaners at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office in a high profile dispute reported in The Telegraph, The Guardian and BBC News
- Successfully defending an international airline facing claims of sex discrimination and unfair dismissal (before the Tribunal and the Employment Appeal Tribunal)
- Successfully acting as advocate for a national education institution defending claims of religious discrimination (reported in the Equality Law Reports and Equal Opportunities Review).
- Successfully defending a national organisation against a serial litigant (acting as advocate at first instance and appellate level).
- Successfully representing a senior lawyer pursing claims relating to maternity discrimination against a leading city law firm
- Representing a group of London cycle couriers in a test case concerning employment status, reported by BBC News, the Evening Standard and Huffington Post.
- Advising a national retailer on its outsourcing arrangements
Qualifications and career
- LLB (Hons) Law, LPC and post-graduate advanced award
- Qualified as a solicitor in 2007
- Practiced at Eversheds LLP
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite in 2011
Pro bono, memberships and appointments
- Member of the Employment Lawyers Association Training Committee
- Member of the Industrial Law Society
- Supervising legal adviser at South West London Law Centres
Employment knowhow from Paul Jennings