Partner and Head of Immigration
Tim is a Partner in the Immigration Department advising clients across the full range of personal, business immigration, and human rights and refugee based claims. More than 17 years qualified, he started his practice in the Legal Aid sector, moving on to work for 10 years within a highly regarded niche immigration firm: Wesley Gryk LLP, before joining Bates Wells Braithwaite. Tim is equally at ease working with high net worth individuals and their families, organisations and businesses, couples and family groups, and vulnerable applicants.
Tim has long been listed a leader in the field of personal immigration in the Chambers Directory.
Examples of Recent Work
- Secured Tier 1 Exceptional Talent/Promise status for a leading avant-garde young composer and musician (1 of only 1,000 permits available for issue per year)
- Resolved the status of a long term unlawfully resident family by arguing that the best interests of their children lay in being educated in the UK
- Secured an unmarried partner’s permit for a gay man who had difficulties providing documentary proof of his cohabitation with his partner.
- Won refugee status for a gay man from Jamaica, and for an Iranian blogger and human rights activist..
- Persuaded UK Visas and Immigration to grant indefinite leave to remain to a noted film maker with Tier 1 General status despite him having been absent from the UK for “excessive” periods over the relevant qualifying years.
- Won the appeal of an elderly grandmother from Zimbabwe.
- Secured numerous “permanent residence” documents for EEA nationals and their family members.
Qualifications and Career
- Emmanuel College, Cambridge University. BA English 1986
- College of Law. Common Professional Examination and Legal Practice Course 1993
- Trained and qualified at Wilson & Co
- Legal Aid asylum and human rights lawyer at Glazer Delmar
- Private immigration associate to partnership at Wesley Gryk LLP
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Former Chair of Trustees of UK Lesbian and Gay Immigration Group (UKLGIG) and ongoing volunteer lawyer for the same.
- Former Trustee/Board member Immigration Law Practitioners Association (ILPA)
- Trainer for ILPA, Office of the Immigration Service Commissioner (OISC) and many others