Partner & Head of Trade Marks
Mat is a chartered trade mark attorney and heads up our IP and trade marks team. He has two decades’ experience of protecting clients’ intellectual property rights.
Along with the rest of BWB’s trade marks team, Mat specialises in helping charities and social enterprises with their brand protection. He has particular expertise in the management of large international trade mark portfolios, and the effective resolution of trade mark disputes without resorting to court action. He also assists conventional businesses, particularly in the technology sector.
Mat’s current and past clients include organizations as diverse as the organizing committees of various Olympic and Paralympic Games, Nokia, Sightsavers, Shelter, Adidas, GlaxoSmithKline, Social Enterprise UK, Philips, Samaritans, the Children's Society, the charitable organizations of members of the Royal Family, and many others.
Examples of recent work
Mat’s practice encompasses the full range of legal services in the field of brand protection, including:
- All aspects of trade mark registration including advice on protection strategies, and handling trade mark applications in the UK, Europe and around the world
- Clearance of new names and brands for use, on a UK and worldwide level.
- Dispute resolution services – dealing with contentious cases such as trade mark oppositions and infringements including conducting settlement negotiations
- Advising in respect of intellectual property and trade mark licensing, and drafting of licences.
- Advice and registration services in relation to registered designs and domain names.
Qualifications and career
- University of Oxford, BA (Hons) in Philosophy, Politics and Economics
- Qualified as a UK and European registered trade mark attorney in 2004
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite in 2009
Pro bono, memberships and appointments
Mat regularly provides various small charities with pro bono and ‘low bono’ assistance with trade mark clearance and registration matters. He is also an advisor at the Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys pro bono clinic.